Gertrude Homes Renovation 2008, additions 2015 The Gertrude Homes were built in 1927 funded by Mr George and Mrs Gertrude Bowen, residents of Ickleton. Over the years they have been repaired and updated but by 2007 needed some major renovation work. The trustees of the Homes raised funding from the local community and from grants. Work started in mid January 2008 and the first new residents moved in during June 2008.
The Ickleton Society owned portraits of George and Gertrude Bowen which it sold to a member of the Bowen family. It donated about half the profit to the Gertrude Homes and in 2015 Stan Reynolds, stonemason of Ickleton, made a plaque of the Bowen family crest which was put on the outside of the building.Thumbnail: