Ickleton Society

An Ickleton Timeline

Filters
DATEEVENTCATDATE
-110000000Collision of African & Indian plates with Eurasia results in formation of Himalayas, Alps and downland hills in SE Englandbg-110000000
-105000000Close to W end of narrow island reaching E to present day Viennabg-105000000
-100000000During late cretaceous period, inundated for c25m years by 900ft sea level rise, resulting in present chalk landscape. bg-100000000
-6200Doggerland is submerged by rising sea levels, cutting pedestrian access to European mainlandbg-6200
-4000Start of 1500 year period of Neolithic migration from Europe, introducing settled agriculture. Ickleton accessible via ridgeway track (Icknield Way) from both directions, also N & S via Cam valley, viz: Chesterford Rd.-Tin Alley-Duxford, etc. bg-4000
-4000After. Probable habitation N. of Abbey farm. Tumulus built above Valance Farmbg-4000
-2500{c.} BRONZE AGE starts-2500
-2100Onwards. New waves of immigration arrive in England (Beaker culture). Bronze increasingly replaces flint. Round barrow tradition established.bg-2100
-800(c.) IRON AGE starts-800
-600(c.) Iceni tribe arrive in area from N.Europe-600
-150(c.) Catevellauni Belgic tribe drive Iceni out of south Cambs area and into Norfolk-150
-100By this time, Britain is divided into tribal kingdoms. Ickleton borders Trinovantes(Essex) / Catuvellauni(centred on Wheathampstead, Herts) / ??(Cambs)bg-100
-55Cassivellaunus king of the Catuvellauni is principal opponent to Roman invasion (Julius Caesar) bg-55
-20Tasciovanus king of Catuvellauni now based in St.Albans (Verulanium) bg-20
10Trinovantes apparently conquered by Catevellauni - Ickleton no longer on frontierbg10
43Roman invasion (Claudius) creating 'Pax Romana'. Safer & stablebg43
61Boudiccan rebellion. Marches on St Albans - i.e. past Ickletonbg61
62Roman camp at Chesterford built as part of plan to control any future insurrection in East Anglia. Surrounded by probable territorium extending c. 3 miles = approx 25 sq miles.bg62
63After. Roads from Chesterford to Colchester, Braughing, Norwich bg63
64After. Strethall -> Duxford / Cambridge? road evolves, providing link to Londiniumbg64
117Built after 117 AD. Large villa on Church Platt, Frogge St. Track from Chesterford Romano-British town appears to lead direct to it. Farm N of Royston Way?bg117
380(c.) Chesterford becomes strongly fortified civilian town. Garrisoned by Saxon mesrcenary soldiers (foederati), as had long been the case under the Romans. bg380
410Romans leave ushering in period of temporary stability for 20 years.bg410
411Pro tem. life continues as usual. No Roman taxes. Many wealthy Brits with large villas. Could one have been on the church site? Was Church Platt villa still standing?bg411
430Stability ends. Saxon mercenaries rebel, initially in Kent, citing lack of provisions by British 'hosts'. Over next years, incoming groups take land and settle, in East Anglia and further west. Most Roman towns abandoned as inhabitants move to the country. However, during this period, it is thought that Chesterford discourages Saxon advance locally and through North Hertfordshire. bg430
450Icel (if he existed) born. Son of Eomer, king of Angles, later claimed as the basis of the Mercian Iclinga dynastybg450
480Battle of Mons Badonicus (WIltshire?) stalls Saxon advance bg480
520Saxon advance resumesbg520
542Justinian Plaguebg542
550Around. Constuction of Devil's Dykebg550
584Kingdom of Mercia foundedbg584
596Pope despatches Augustine to convert Britain to christianitybg596
632Christianization of East Anglia beginsbg632
645(c.) Penda defeats Ecgric & Siebehrt making E.Anglia a Mercian client statebg645
650Around this time, three further dykes built across the Icknield way at Flint Cross, Pampisford and Fulbourn, adding to the pre-existing Devils Dyke bewteen Reach and Woodditton: At intervals of about 7 miles, they were possibly individually land holdings, but assumed to be intended for defence of East Anglian Saxon fiefdom from potential Mercian incursion? Suggests continuing instability.bg650
650Say... E.Anglians advance to line of Cam. In conjunc with building of Pampisford / Flint Cross dykes, was this the time when Iclingas established - or renamed village as Iclington?bg650
654Penda, king of Mercia killed. Succeeded by Wulfhere. bg654
700(c.) Border of Mercia & East Anglia. Increasing stability of kingdom improves safety, Chesterford declines. Recognizable village possibly including a church starts to develop in this period, although settlement almost certainly already existed trading and subsistence farming.bg700
716(-757) Ethelbald of Mercia, king of all England except Northumbriabg716
730(before). Felix writes life of St. Guthlac, an Iclingan nobleman, who became a recluse and dedicated his life to God after a youth spent fighting on the Mercian / E. Anglian border.bg730
757OFFA king of Merciabg757
793Aethelbert II of E. Anglia captured and murdered by Offa. East Anglia, falls under total Mercian control.bg793
802(-839). Egbert of Wessex.bg802
825E. Anglia temporarily regains independence. Beornwulf K of Mercia killed825
829Egbert of Wessex annexes Merciabg829
836Danes sack Londonbg836
865Danish army conquers East Anglia, Ickleton area once again frontier country. This time on border of Mercia / Danelaw.bg865
873Danes advance west to beyond Leicester and south to the Thames. Local area now solidly under Danish controlbg873
878Alfred the Great of Wessex, defeats the Danes at battle of Edington. Treaty of Wedmore. Danes retreat to East Anglia and Essex. Peace reigns! Ickleton once again on the border.bg878
899(-925). Wessex gains control. Over next 25 years, the shire system, already established in Wessex, progressively introduced by Edward / Athelstan bg899
912Between 912 and 918, Danes expelled from East Anglia. Peace for next 60 years.bg912
975Danish raids restart.bg975
1000Alsi Squitrebil held 19½ of the 20 hides in Ickleton from the king (Edward). The other half was held by Estred.estates1000
1016After ineffectual resistance by Ethelred the Unready, Sweyn Forkbeard and his son Canute retake most of England. Ethelred deposed, Canute crowned king. Peace reigns for 50 years, until ...bg1016
1066WILLIAM Ibg1066
1067Ickleton given with other lands to Eustace, Count of Boulogne by Williamestates1067
106750 acres (Half a hide]) given to Hardwin de Scalers, a notorious baron, who may have had a castle at Reed. His Ickleton land was held by a man named Durand.estates1067
1082Eustace succeeded by his son - also Eustace, who held 19½ hides.estates1082
1086Magna Carta. Population perhaps 200 based on 43 tenants / householdspop1086
1087WILLIAM IImon1087
1100Church built c. 1100 although not found in records before the 14th century, it has been dated by architecture.church1100
1100HENRY Imon1100
1135STEPHENmon1135
1141Ickleton given by king to to Geoffrey de Mandeville. estates1141
1143Geoffrey de Mandeville mounts challenge to the king, is charged with treason and his possessions including Ickleton and castle at Saffron Walden reclaimed by King. Saffron Walden castle is demolished. Geoffrey subsequently flees with his supporters and becomes a notorious outlaw known as the Scourge of the Fens. estates1143
1150Ickleton Given to Eufeme, second wife of Aubrey de Vere, earl of Oxford, on her marriage.estates1150
1150(c.) Priory founded, prob by the de Valognes family, who also founded E. Anglian priories at Hickling, Leiston, Butley & Campsey. The church becomes appropriated to the Prioress.church1150
1153Eufeme gave 5 worth of land to Colne priory.estates1153
1154HENRY IImon1154
1162Grant of an estate at Ickleton to the hospital of Montmorillon in Central France. estates1162
1180Ickleton priory for Benedictine nuns, founded in mid 12th century, probably by member of Valognes family. estates1180
1180Priory Manor, largest in Ickleton had probably over 700 acres, may have included the original holding of Colne Priory.estates1180
1183Largest part of Ickleton held by Roger de Lucy - A northern nobleman and sometime crusaderestates1183
1189RICHARD Imon1189
1199Estate of Hamon Walters granted to West Dereham Abbey. DURHAMS manor probably comprised c. 100 acrea.estates1199
1199JOHNmon1199
1200Richard de Lucy succeeds Roger as largest Ickleton land holder. Land remains in his family for the next 150 years estates1200
1213Cistercian abbey of Calder received lands from Richard de Lucy. Probably about 100 acres. Known as CALDREES manorestates1213
1216HENRY IIImon1216
1222Thomas Brito holds tenancy in Ickleton. His daughter married to Robert Hovel, inherits 400 acres. estates1222
1231Henry III confirmed land in Ickleton and Brookhampton including shares in two water mills to Caldrees Manor.estates1231
1251By this date, 140 acres of Robert Hovel's estate had been given to the Cistercian abbey of Tilty (Essex). The abbey's manor, known as HOVELLS, covered c.190 a. in 1279, and mostly held from Robert Hovelestates1251
1266Priory was attacked by landholders and their tenants dispossessed following defeat of Simon de Montfort at the battle of Evesham estates1266
1272EDWARD Imon1272
1279Population perhaps 600 based on 115 tenants / householdspop1279
1279Thomas de Multon, grandson of Richard de Lucy becomes mesne lordestates1279
1279An estate including c. 60 a. of demesne was held by Roger de Neville under Thomas de Multon of the honor of Boulogne. William Boys as life-tenant. Another 127 a. held of Neville by Roger Barbedor probably descended with Barbedors manor in Hinxton. estates1279
1279Thirty a. held of Dereham abbey by the heirs of William de Beauchamp of Bedford, descended through a female heir to the Mowbrays, to create MOWBRAYS manor.estates1279
1279Land in Ickleton was held by John le Bray, possibly a descendant of William Brito whose name was also written le Breton or le Bret. estates1279
1294Thomas's grandson, also Thomas succeeds to holding of "half a knight's fee". A vague measure, maybe 250 acres. (Watfordmanors.com)estates1294
1300Hospital of Montmorillon licensed to convey its estate to Aymer de Valence, earl of Pembroke. Buried in Westminster Abbey and remembered for foundation of Pembroke College, Cambridge.estates1300
1300Aymer de Valence grants VALENCE manor for life to Sir John Wollaston. estates1300
1302Knight's fee in Ickleton was held by Philip de Neville passed by 1316 to Sir John Limbury as LIMBURYS manor, which included buildings. estates1302
1302John le Bray held BRAYS manor of the honor of Boulogne in 1302. estates1302
1306(c) Peter appointed Vicarchurch1306
1306(c) Philip appointed Vicarchurch1306
1307EDWARD IImon1307
1324After Aymer de Valence's death in 1324, Valance manor assigned to Elizabeth Comyn, younger daughter of his sister Joan. Elizabeth married Richard Talbot, with whom she leased the manor to Richard's brother John for life in 1330.estates1324
1324Valence manor-house, in use until at least 1726, on the south side of Mill Lane. A tiled building with six rooms on the ground floor, two solars above, and a thatched range of out-buildings including a gatehouse. estates1324
1327EDWARD IIImon1327
1332Valence Manor conveyed to Richard of Barking, a London merchant. estates1332
1333Barking sells Valence Manor to William le Waleys, Queen Isabel's tailorestates1333
1334Valence sold to Thomas of Lavenham and Ralph Mendham, rector of Hargham (Norf.). estates1334
1335South Street (later Paddock Street, then Frog(ge) Street) is mentionedplaces1335
1335Sir John Limbury held 100 a. in Ickleton of the Multons when sheriff of Cambridgeshire.estates1335
1342 William de Kirkeby appointed Vicar by Prioresschurch1342
1343Gillian Limbury in possession by 1343. Between 1346 and 1367 she was succeeded by Sir Philip Limbury, perhaps her son, who died at Constantinople in 1367.estates1343
1344Ralph conveys Valence manor to John Illegh, rector of Icklingham (Suff.), and Thomas Keningham, a fellow and later master of Michaelhouse, Cambridge. estates1344
1345Illegh grants Valence manor in 1345 to Michaelhouse, for his earlier foundation of two poor scholars and a chantry priest. estates1345
1346(by) Brays manor passed to John Sawstonestates1346
1346 John de Illega appointed Vicarchurch1346
1349Black Death. Around 50% of British population die, causing labour shortages and uninhabited areas. Possibly the time when Brookhampton was abandoned.bg1349
1353 William appointed Vicarchurch1353
1367Anthony de Lucy, Lord of Ickletonestates1367
1367After Sir Philip Limbury's death, his widow Joan, who afterwards married Sir John Clinton, held the manor (fn- 169) until her deathestates1367
1368John Mowbray of Axholme (Lincs.) died holding 30 a. at Ickleton of the honor of Boulogne. estates1368
1375 John Quaille appointed Vicarchurch1375
1377RICHARD IImon1377
1377 John Dilley appointed Vicarchurch1377
1377 John Smith appointed Vicarchurch1377
1383John Mowbray's eldest son John died under age and was succeeded by his younger brother Thomas later duke of Norfolk.estates1383
1388Estate passed to Elizabeth Limbury, wife of Sir Thomas Trivet (d. 1388).estates1388
1388Limburys included two messuages. The site of one was perhaps the close called Old Limburys, north-west of Caldrees Manor.estates1388
1391Limburys manor settled on Elizabeth and her second husband Sir Thomas Swinburne who still held lands in Ickleton at his death in 1412.estates1391
1394 John Rande appointed Vicarchurch1394
1399Thomas Mowbray died in banishment. Though Thomas had settled his estate on his eldest son Thomas's marriage to Constance Holland. His widow Elizabeth was granted dower.estates1399
1399HENRY IVmon1399
1413HENRY Vmon1413
1422HENRY VImon1422
1425Elizabeth Mowbray died. Mowbrays reverted after her death in 1425 to her daughter-in-law Constance, whose husband had been executed in 1405. estates1425
1428Brays manor divided between John Pauly and Thomas Andrew. estates1428
1431Green Street (later Church Street), mentionedplaces1431
1432First mention of Mill Lane - then called Fulling Mill Streetplaces1432
1437On Constance Mowbray's death, the manor passed to her husband's nephew, John, duke of Norfolk.estates1437
1437 Paul Grene appointed Vicarchurch1437
1438Mowbrays has a site of 3 a. and probably a house. (fn- 209) estates1438
1445 John Steymour appointed Vicarchurch1445
1450During the 15th century, Hovells, Norman Hall, Frog Hall, the Mowbrays, and several existing cottages originally built places1450
1450(+-50 yrs) Mowbrays (The present house), built just outside the south-west wall of the churchyard when it had a central hall and two cross-wings. estates1450
1453 John Crowche appointed Vicarchurch1453
1456Following Elizabeth's death, Limburys sold with c. 80 a. to Clare Hall, Cambridge, by her executor Nicholas Wimbish, a Chancery clerk.estates1456
1461On death of John Mowbray, Duke of Norfolk, the manor passed to his son John.estates1461
1461EDWARD IVmon1461
1469John Mowbray and his wife Elizabeth conveyed Mowbrays with many other lands to feoffees, including Thomas Hoo, possibly succeeded by the four daughters of his half-brother Lord Thomas Hoo, including Anne, the younger of two daughters of that name and wife of Roger Copley. estates1469
1470HENRY VImon1470
1471EDWARD IVmon1471
1483EDWARD Vmon1483
1483RICHARD IIImon1483
1485(before). New vicarage built S of Green near riverchurch1485
1485HENRY VIImon1485
1490A William Copley died, leaving his brother Lionel heir to a manor in Ickleton held of the earls of Oxford, perhaps that called Copleys. estates1490
1496 Robert Burton appointed Vicarchurch1496
1509HENRY VIIImon1509
1510Richard Carewe thought to have descended from Lord Hoo, through his dughter Eleanor and to have held Mowbrays, died around this year. estates1510
1516By a composition the prioress received both great and small tithes,estates1516
1522A prosperous village. Five inhabitants required to contribute to the loan of 1522.places1522
1523Richard Bendyshe of Steeple Bumpstead (Essex) died leaving Brays to his only son John, a minor.estates1523
1524Population perhaps ? based on 86 people assessed for subsidypop1524
1527Vicarage was a good house with a wellfurnished hall. (church1527
1527 Robert Davey appointed Vicarchurch1527
1528Brookhampton Street - known as such by 1432places1528
1530Bishop of Ely granted Priory plus Ickleton lands of the dissolved abbeys of West Dereham, Calder, and Tilty, in exchange for the manor of Hatfield (Herts.).estates1530
1536Priory dissolved. 716 acresestates1536
1536Ickleton rectory which had been appropriated to the priory, probably from the priory's foundation, passed to the Crown. The priory's lands thereafter were treated as a single manorial estate, and the rectory therefore consisted only of tithes. estates1536
1536Church Advowson (right to appoint clergy) passes to crownchurch1536
1538Church Advowson (right to appoint clergy) passed to Bishop of Ely - apparently by an oversightchurch1538
1540William Copley and his wife conveyed Mowbrays manor to John Hinde, who probably sold it soon afterwards.estates1540
1540John Bendyshe conveyed Brays manor to his father-in-law Thomas Crawley. The manor later came to John Trigge, whose son John, a yeoman of Ickleton, succeeded him.estates1540
1543John Crudd buys part of Mowbrays estate from George Rolle.estates1543
1544Richard's Carewes daughter Margaret and husband William Morris, sell further part of Mowbrays estate to John Crudd.estates1544
1545Limbutys farmstead stood on the west side of Frog Street, close to its junction with Abbey Street. estates1545
1545(by) The site of the manor of Brays was a pasture full of bushes with a stream running through it, in the south-east angle of Brookhampton Street. estates1545
1545The Town Lands (bequeathed to and administered by the parish for charity) amounted to 40 acrescharity1545
1546Valence manor passes from Michaelhouse to Trinity Collegeestates1546
1546Clare Hall held Limburys estates1546
1547George Rolle conveyed Mowbrays to John Crudd, one of a large and prosperous yeoman family of Ickleton, who considerably enlarged the manor.estates1547
1547The Crown granted the rectory to the dean and canons of St. George's Chapel, Windsor, who held it until 1867 when their estates were vested in the Ecclesiastical Commissioners.estates1547
1547Rectory granted to Dean and Canons of Windsorchurch1547
1547EDWARD VImon1547
1550(cent) Durhams farmhouse dates from 16th centuryplaces1550
1550(cent) In the 16th century, there were pubs called The Rose and the Bell places1550
1553MARY Imon1553
1558ELIZABETHmon1558
1563Population perhaps 400 based on 63 households. Makes Ickleton largest of the 5 villages in the hundredpop1563
1567Robert Proctor appointed Vicarchurch1567
1575(In the later 16th century) A dispute developed between the dean and canons and their farmers, and members of the Wood family, lessees of the former priory demesne. estates1575
1579John and Edward Wood refused to pay tithes from the demesne. A long series of lawsuits and appeals ensued. Edward's son John, eventually lord of Priory manor, was still opposing the dean and canons in 1620. The courts consistently upheld the rectors.estates1579
1588Rector presented by Dean and Canons of Windsorchurch1588
1588Michael Coule appointed Vicarchurch1588
1600Ickleton lands returned to Crown, but advowson reserved by Bishop Heton of Elychurch1600
1601Schoolmasters were licensed from this time and school lessons conducted in the church after 1638 schools1601
1603JAMES Imon1603
1604Much of Brays land was claimed by John Crudd, to whom five members of the Trigge family sold it.estates1604
1607John Crudd dies after enfeoffing a younger son Daniel of his lands.estates1607
1612Valence manor extended to 307 acresestates1612
1612Solomon Lacy appointed Vicarchurch1612
1615Sir William Byrd, dean of the Arches and son of a Saffron Walden gentleman, leased the rectory as "lay-rector", licensed by the dean & canons of Windsor to collect tithes from the village for his own disposal. Following his tenure in 1624, this post was continuously let until halted by the enclosures.estates1615
1615Vicarage stood south of the green near the river, and had a large hall, a parlour, kitchen, four small chambers and a large one, a buttery and a milkhouse, and a study recently added. There were also farm-buildings, and a gatehouse with a chamber over it.church1615
1618Vicar collated by Bishop of Elychurch1618
1618Thomas Thorold appointed Vicarchurch1618
1623Ickleton Grange possibly completed by Sir John Wood, who moved a barn from the priory to a site a mile away. places1623
1625CHARLES Imon1625
1641Vicar collated by Bishop of Elychurch1641
1642Anthony Andrews appointed Vicarchurch1642
1644The site of the priory, known as Abbey Farm, was leased with c. 400 acres.estates1644
1644!!!! from Priory bookestates1644
1646Daniel Crudd conveys Mowbrays to his kinsman John Crudd. estates1646
1650(cent) Wealthy farmers built Priory Farm, The Grange, Brookhampton Hall, Caldrees. Abbey Farm replaced the decaying Ickleton priory. places1650
1652John Crudd, accused of raising forces for an anti-parliamentarian rising at Linton in 1648, dies before the case was completed.estates1652
1659Richard Swann left one and a quarter acres to the churchwardens for poor widows. At inclosure, the charity was allotted 1 a., yielding by 1865 �1 16s. a year.charity1659
1660Vicar collated by Bishop of Elychurch1660
1660CHARLES IImon1660
1662Augustine Rolfe appointed Vicarchurch1662
1663OLIVER CROMWELLmon1663
1675A number of people were non-conformists by this time and although disciplined, numbers grew until 15 years later there were enough to justify attendance by two Cambridge preachers every Sunday.church1675
1676Population perhaps 600 based on 251 adultspop1676
1678Dean & Canons of Windsor reassert theit claim to advowson and appoint vicarchurch1678
1678Ralph Staunron appointed Vicarchurch1678
1684Bishop collates his domestic chaplain as Vicarchurch1684
1684Thomas Johnson appointed Vicarchurch1684
1685A large estate in the western half of the parish was farmed from the Grange. (364 a. in 1810)land1685
1685JAMES IImon1685
1688John Marshall appointed Vicarchurch1688
1689Bishop of London presents vicar following concession from Elychurch1689
1689WILLIAM IIImon1689
1689Thomas Sages appointed Vicarchurch1689
1699A pub called the White Lion, south of the green burned down, Replaced by the Chequers and then the Duke of Wellingtonplaces1699
1702ANNEmon1702
1704Limburys Frog St. site contained only farm-buildings, without a houseestates1704
1704(by) Mowbrays and Brays manors held by Thomas Crudd, who devised both to Anne and then Thomas Hanchett.estates1704
1705Fire destroyed much of vicarage and subsequently described as a mere cottage. (It was unfit for residence by the incumbent throughout the earlier 19th century, and by 1841 part of it had fallen down.church1705
1707Population c,500 - 120 pop1707
1714Thomas Crudd dies unmarried, devising Mowbrays and Brays manors to his sister Anne Hanchett (d. 1721) for life, and then to his nephew Thomas Hanchett, eldest son of his sister Joan.estates1714
1714GEORGE Imon1714
1715A building in the village licensed for non-conformist worship continued in use until mid-19th centurychurch1715
1727GEORGE IImon1727
1728The Lion (later Red Lion, then Ickleton Lion) establishedplaces1728
1744(About) Thomas Hanchett succeeded by his son John (estates1744
1744Zachary Brooke appointed Vicarchurch1744
1750(cent) Hill Street (later Butchers Hill) not mentioned before the 18th century. May not have existed in earlier times places1750
1750(cent) Caldrees Manor, enlarged and stone fronted for the resident Lord of the Manor - P.C.Wyndham.places1750
1759(Not later) John Hanchett dies. Half Mowbrays manor settled on Rachel, on her marriage to William Warner, and the other half on Susanna, who in 1765 married Zachary Brooke, vicar of Ickleton.estates1759
1759(about) Brays descended at the death of John Hanchett to his son John by his second marriageestates1759
1760GEORGE IIImon1760
1775(+-25 yrs) Mowbrays hall was raised to two storeys and another wing added on the west. estates1775
1775(By the later 18th century) Tithes had apparently been commuted for money payments. A proposal in 1776 to collect tithes in kind raised 'no small stir' in the parish.estates1775
1778Brays sold to Henry Hanchett of Ickletonestates1778
1780(by) The farm-house attached to the Brays estate was the Little Farm, east of the churchyard.estates1780
1783The parish benefited from the charity of Lettice Martin which yielded 13/4d per year and was distributed to the poor every three years charity1783
1783The trustees of the Town Lands, all substantial farmers, were accused by the rural dean of occupying the lands themselves instead of allotting 3 a. to each poor family at a low rent, while the income was no longer distributed among the needy.charity1783
1788Zachary Brooke dies.estates1788
1788George Hewitt appointed Vicarchurch1788
178920 houses and outbuildings destroyed by fire which started in Abbey Street maltings. One man killed.places1789
1789William Warner, who apparently survived his wife, conveyed his part of Mowbrays estate to Susanna Brooke, and released all his rights to Susanna's three children. estates1789
1791John Vicars appointed Vicarchurch1791
1793Zachary Brooke appointed Vicarchurch1793
1795Brays inherited by Samuel Hanchett.estates1795
1801Population 493 - 121 families. Largest village in hundredpop1801
1803Nicholas Bull appointed Vicarchurch1803
1804Nicholas Bull starts a Sunday school which had 100 pupils by 1818schools1804
1810Valence manor-house had gone by this date.estates1810
1810Clare had 123 a. receiving at inclosure 77½ a., mostly close to the village.estates1810
1810Mrs. Brooke (d. 1812) owner of the Mowbrays estate, had over 280 a. estates1810
1810Enclosure of Ickleton Common Fieldsland1810
1812Susanna Brookes dies. estates1812
1814Trinity received a compact allotment of 243 a. south of the Elmdon roadestates1814
1814Children of Susanna Brookes alloted 160 a. lying south of the village at inclosure.estates1814
1814Samuel Hanchett allotted 106 a. close to the villageestates1814
1814At inclosure, the dean and canons of Windsor received 640½ a. in lieu of tithes. By far the largest allotment in Ickleton, it lay in four pieces with the largest covering 438 a. north of Grange Road. estates1814
1818Rectory Farm & cottages builtplaces1818
1818Thomas Fuller, as the dean and canons' lessee, built a farmstead on the large allotment north of Grange Road, but his undertenant was still required to live in Fuller's own farmhouse in the village over a mile away. The rectory's farmstead was known first as Ickleton Farm, and later as Rectory Farm.estates1818
1819Clare bought the lands and farm-house of Mowbrays manor, c. 160 a., of which 30 a. were to endow scholarships.estates1819
1819Tenants of Clare Hall's farm occupied the Mowbrays.estates1819
1819Whole Mowbrays estate sold by the Brookes in 1819 to Clare Hall, Cambridge, and still belonged to the college in 1972.estates1819
1819Mowbrays - extensive improvements and repairs were made to houseestates1819
1820GEORGE IVmon1820
1824Valance Farm built by Trinity College. Old building and material moved from Mill Laneplaces1824
1824Trinity built a new farm-house and farmstead known as Vallance Farm on the land that it had acquired at inclosure.estates1824
1824Two houses, one near the Red Lion and the other in Frog Street, licensed for worship and used by Methodists. Martha Ridding who occupied both houses was their teacher, and they were known as the Old Wesleyan church people.church1824
1824A schoolroom in the church (probably below the tower) was rebuilt.schools1824
1826Thomas Fuller devised his lease of Ickleton / Rectory farm to two trustees, one of whom, James Raymond, held it from this date. estates1826
1830WILLIAM IVmon1830
1835John Hanchett inherits Brays estate.estates1835
1837Over time, various properties kown as Town Lands & houses had been bequeathed to the parish for charitable purposes. By 1837 there were ten cottages let for ₤15. The properties were administered together, and the income, amounting to ₤148 in 1900, was distributed in food, clothing, and money.charity1837
1837VICTORIAmon1837
1840James Raymond's nephew and heir W. F. Raymond, archdeacon of Northumberland, became lessee of Ickleton / Rectory farmestates1840
1842Methodist Chapel builtplaces1842
1842Congregational chapel was built on the east side of Frog Street. It was twice enlarged between 1876 and 1896, to accommodate 200. It was served by the minister from Duxford once a fortnight. Closed c. 1954 and demolished c. 2010.church1842
1844John Clayton appointed Vicarchurch1844
1845Railway line opened. Keepers cottage built at the end of Mill Lane. Originally trains may have stopped at "Ickleton Station" here.places1845
1846New Vicarage built on Butchers Hill.church1846
1846British School established in Frogge Street Congregational chapel. Average attendance in 1870 was 80, said by the vicar to be mostly children from other parishes. Remained open until at least 1888schools1846
1846Much of the potato crop lost due to the same fungal disease which caused famine in Irelandland1846
1848Church School established by W.J.Clayton, the vicar. Held in room on south side of Mill Lane, but sold as part of Hanchett estate in 1867schools1848
1848Roman villa in Frogge St. discovered and excavated by Ho, R,C, Neville1848
1850(cent) Many small houses built to accommodate expanding populationplaces1850
1851Population 813pop1851
1852Second Methodist Chapel builtplaces1852
1852The patronage of the vicarage was transferred to the bishop of Peterboroughchurch1852
1852Primitive methodist chapel built on the north side of Abbey Street with seating for 160 people. Closed c.1985 and Converted to a dwelling house in 2018church1852
1860W.F. Raymond's nephew, Lt.-Gen. William Inglis, later of Hildersham Hall, succeeded to the property.estates1860
1861R.G.W. Herbert sometime of Caldrees Manor, appointed governor of Queensland, Australia1861
1864Church re-opens after restorationchurch1864
1864John Amps appointed Vicarchurch1864
1867Brays estate sold on behalf of John Hanchett's two daughters. Part was bought by Sir Robert Herbert, but much was again for sale in 1873 with an arable farm of 112 a. formerly held by William Hanchett.estates1867
1867(by) Brays farm-house had been amalgamated with an adjoining tenement to form Norman Hall. After its sale in that year the house was no longer used as a farm-house. The oldest part of the house is a late medieval hall and cross-wing. It was extended and remodelled in the 16th century and again in the 18th.estates1867
1870(c.) Remains of old Vicarage S. of Green demolishedchurch1870
1871School builtplaces1871
1871New school and teachers house built in Frogge Street. Attendance rose to over 100 by 1888schools1871
1874Patronage transferred from Peterborough to the Lord Chancellor.church1874
1876Clare bought another 9 a. in Ickleton in estates1876
1877Ex-Brays farm, with 8 cottages and 28 a. of arable, was sold yet again in 1877.estates1877
1882George Jonas succeeds to Rectory Farm. His father Samuel Jonas of Chrishall Grange had farmed the land from Lt.-Gen. Inglis.) estates1882
1882Following the death of Ann Jonas, her children purchased ₤350 stock in memory of their parents, to be held in trust by the vicar and churchwardens. Payments from the fund were made in clothing until the 1960s.charity1882
1884The New Inn in Brookhampton street which closed 19??places1884
1886Reading room opened behind Brookhampton Hallplaces1886
1886Block of 6 cottages west of Coploe Road erected by 1886places1886
1894Parish Council inaugurated. Sir Robert Herbert elected chairman1894
1899Salvation Army Hall on east side of Brookhampton St. It lasted about 4 years until sold off as Conservative Hall. Became Ickleton Social Club 19??church1899
1901Ickleton New Grange completed by G.W.H.Bowenplaces1901
1901EDWARD VIImon1901
1905Lands of Durhams Manor combined with Caldrees Manor by Sir Robert Herbert.places1905
1909Frederick Tackley appointed Vicarchurch1909
1910GEORGE Vmon1910
1911Population 598 - reduced as poverty causes emigration / migration to townspop1911
1911The charities of Lettice Martin, Richard Swan, and the town lands and houses were amalgamated as the Ickleton United Charities.charity1911
1912Mowbrays - further improvements and repairs made to houseestates1912
1913Phillip Cooke appointed Vicarchurch1913
1920The Ecclesiastical Commissioners sold Rectory farm in 1920 to H. F. Beales, whose executors offered it for sale again with 612 a. in 1927.estates1920
1927Gertrude Homes built by Mr. & Mrs. G.W.H. Bowenplaces1927
1927Clare bought 30 a. from the executors of H. F. Beales, the tenant.iestates1927
1927Mr. and Mrs. G. W. H. Bowen built and endowed three bungalows in Frog Street for elderly parishioners, with a preference for their former servants. Mrs. Bowen (d. 1967) left ₤1,000 to the alms-houses, known as the Gertrude Homes, which were modernized in 1971. A Scheme of 1970 amalgamated the Jonas and Bowen charities with the existing United Charities.charity1927
1930Vicarage of Ickleton held jointly with that of Hinxton, with alternate presentation by Jesus College, Cambridge, and the Lord Chancellorchurch1930
1930Arthur Penney appointed Vicarchurch1930
1936GEORGE VImon1936
1946Trinity's farm at Ickleton, consisting of 340 a., sold to Mrs. E. M. Scales and J. B. Wamsley.estates1946
1948Nine pairs of semi-detached council houses in Bird's Close erected 1929 & 1948-54places1948
1948Peter Weir appointed Vicarchurch1948
1952ELIZABETH IImon1952
1955D. Vaughan Edwards appointed Vicarchurch1955
1959J. Bellamy Hall appointed Vicarchurch1959
1961Frogge Street School closed. Children moved to Duxford and Sawston. Building converted to village hall.schools1961
1965Houses on Butcher's Hill builtplaces1965
1967Peter B. Bagnall appointed Vicarchurch1967
1971Population 526 pop1971
1972Clare College still owned Mowbrays Farm and its land.estates1972
1974Robery F. Morgan appointed Vicarchurch1974
1976Southfields estate built by Plumb Brosplaces1976
1980Richard A. Birt appointed Vicarchurch1980
1989Andrew Way appointed Vicarchurch1989
1995Jane Charman appointed Vicarchurch1995
2005Andrew Schofield appointed Vicarchurch2005
2010Jessica Martin appointed Vicarchurch2010
2017Petra Shakeshaft appointed Vicarchurch2017